Accordion Noir radio playlist 2016-11-02: All Accordions Day
(“Ghost Accordion” picture by Alexandra Wisniewski)
Here we go again, folks — last night Bruce aired an hour of great accordion tunes representing a diversity of styles and traditions, and if you missed it, you can access a digital audio stream by clicking here on this link from a Flash-equipped web browser. (Apologies to the fans on mobile devices — we’re working on it.) And to help you better appreciate what you’re hearing, here’s the full playlist of the episode:
* Katheryn Petersen – Accordion Noir Theme Song – (2016) – Vancouver, BC, Canada – “All parts were played by me on accordion, toy piano and squeeky chair and all the effects were done live with my pedals and not by robots or in post. I shot a video to go with it.”
* The Jerry Cans – Ukiuq – Inuusiq (2016) – Iqaluit, Nunavit, Canada – http://thejerrycans.com/
* Bluesqueezebox – Election Day – This Old House (2014) – Austin, Texas, USA – bluesqueezebox.com
* Leveret – Northern Lass/The Kings’ Barrows – Ultimate Guide to English Folk (0) – UK –
* Kay Starr – Rock and Roll Waltz – (1957) – – https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/(The)_Rock_and_Roll_Waltz
* Gong Linna – Haohua Hong (Beautiful Red Flower – a song of the Bouyei People in Guizhou) – (2008) – China – http://www.gonglinna.com/news.html
* Myriam Alter – Again – Crossways (2015) – Belgium – http://www.myriamalter.com Luciano Biondini, acc.
* Hot Club Of Detroit – Hey! – Junction (2012) – Detroit, Michigan, USA – http://hotclubofdetroit.com/ Julien Labro, acc.
* Anne Niepold – Placardesque – Terrain Vague (2011) – Belgium – http://www.anneniepold.be/
* Clay Rendering – Waters Above The Firmament – Waters Above The Firmament (2014) – Michigan, USA – http://www.ClayRendering.com
* Ashton Under Lyne Concertina Prize Band – Barcarolle – Zonophone 6257 (1932) – UK – Recorded c. 14 October 1932 Released December 1932
You heard it here first: the Accordion Noir 10th Anniversary concert will be taking place at Spartacus Books on Friday, November 18th, from 7:30-10:30 pm! Details to follow.
Those decaversary concerts happen only once every ten years; our radio broadcasts are quite a bit more regular, cranked out on a weekly basis… and naturally if you keep up with us on social media you can enjoy a veritable non-stop cavalcade of accordion content and breaking free-reed news. We’re on Twitter at @AccordionNoir and @AccordionBruce, over at Instagram account as @Accordionnoirfest, and because we have so many compelling side projects, we have no fewer than THREE groups on Facebook, for Accordion Noir fans, the Accordion Noir Festival, and the Vancouver Squeezebox Circle. (Speaking of which, you must know that the same Squeezebox Circle meets tonight at Spartacus Books from 8-10 pm!)
This week you got to enjoy Katheryn Petersen’s cover recording of our theme song, but we’re still hoping that we’ll get a chance to enjoy yours! There’s slightly under a month remaining on the clock, so please don’t delay!