Accordion Noir radio playlist 2016-11-09: Woke Up This Morning
When the dust settles, we return to our tasks because accordions that are not busy being squeezed are busy mouldering.
Today needs more accordion.
— Sylvain Reynard (@sylvainreynard) November 9, 2016
In case you missed it live on the air, you can enjoy last night’s episode of Accordion Noir that Bruce cooked up for you (in a no doubt black mood) by listening to a digital audio stream by clicking on this very link. (Apologies to would-be mobile listeners — due to reasons beyond our control, Adobe Flash widget required. We’re working on it.) And here is its playlist:
* Geoff Berner – I Kind Of Hate Songs With Ambiguous Lyrics – Victory Party (2011) – Vancouver, BC, Canada – http://www.geoffberner.com
* Aurochs – Four – Another Helpful Medicine (2016) – Toronto, Ontario – Montreal, Quebec, Canada – http://www.AurochMusic.com Ali Berkok, acc.
* The Decemberists – Sons & Daughters – The Crane Wife (2006) – Portland, Oregon, USA – http://www.decemberists.com/
* Roddie Romero & The Hub City All-Stars – Po’ Boy Walk – Gulfstream (2016) – Lafayette, Louisiana, USA – http://www.RoddieRomero.com
* The Tiger Lillies – Money – Two Penny Opera (2001) – United Kingdom – http://www.tigerlillies.com/
* Stuart Estell – Close the Windows, Lock the Doors – Mother’s Thinking Bath (2014) – Birmingham, England, UK – Visit http://lachenaliamusic.bandcamp.com
* Art Van Damme Quintet – Soon It’s Gonna Rain – With Art Van Damme in San Francisco (1966)
* Santiago Jiménez, Jr. – El Corrido De Esequiel Hernández – Arhoolie Records 40th Anniversary Collection: 1960–2000 The Journey Of Chris Strachwitz [Disc 5] (1999)
* Walter Sickert & The Army of Broken Toys – Hole in the Boat – SteamShipKillers (2010) – Boston, Massachusetts, USA – http://www.ARMYOFTOYS.com
* Geoff Berner – We Are On Our Way to Bremen (Alt – not On Album)) – We Are Going to Bremen to be Musicians (2015) – Vancouver, BC, Canada – http://www.geoffberner.com/
* Frode Haltli & Trondheim Soloists – It Is Pain Flowing Down Slowly on a White Wall – Sørensen & Abrahamsen: Air (2016) – Norway – http://www.EcmRecords.com
* Jenny Vincent Trio – Home Sweet Home – Under The Western Sky (2006) – New Mexico, USA
Though we go on the radio but once a week (it’s clearly not frequently enough, the longer we run this program, the larger our backlog of “to-play” music becomes), you can hear from us more often over social media, where you can feel the pulse of Accordion Twitter through our RTs at @AccordionNoir and @AccordionBruce. Alternately, you could join the picture party through our Instagram account @Accordionnoirfest, and for everyone else there’s always our Facebook groups for Accordion Noir fans, the Accordion Noir Festival, and the Vancouver Squeezebox Circle.
It’s no coincidence we’ve never felt so old before — our 10th anniversary is nigh upon us! In a week and a day we’re holding a commemorative concert in celebration of the occasion! We should, uh, post more about it here very, very soon! But if you’re too far away to attend, you can at least send us a cover recording of our theme song to help join in and play a part in the festivities. Consider it!
Busker in front of the 7-11 was playing “My Heart Will Go On” on his accordion yesterday. Today he was playing “Hurt”
— Elizabeth Sampat (@twoscooters) November 9, 2016