Accordion Noir radio playlist 2017-01-18: Well, That Was Somethin’
Here it is: the radio program Bruce had queued up to broadcast two weeks ago before he slipped on the ice riding his bike to the radio station and broke his shoulder. (No, that’s not him on the ice in the photo — it’s Finnish accordion madman maestro Kimmo Pohjonen from his movie Soundbreaker. There aren’t that many options for ice + accordion images.) The circumstances were terrible, but the premise of the episode was a solid one: we played one song released in each of the ten years we’ve been on the air, starting in 2006. Sure, ten songs wouldn’t make for much of a program typically — filling 60 minutes would demand an average of 6 minutes per song! — but we found a way to mess with the averages by throwing in a 15-minute track in the middle. Join us, won’t you? For a limited time (plus or minus six months) you can enjoy listening to a digital audio stream of the episode hosted by our radio station CFRO Co-Op Community Radio, or you can download an MP3 for your listening enjoyment … indefinitely! … from the Internet Archive. And to help inform you of this impromptu time travel voyage we’re whisking you away on, here’s the playlist for the episode:
* Charanga Cakewalk – El Ballad De Jose Campos Torres – Chicano Zen (2006) – Austin, Texas, USA – http://www.myspace.com/charangacakewalk en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Joe_Campos_Torres
* Geoff Berner – Berner High Ground Ringtone – 2016 Accordion Noir Ringtone Album (2007) – Vancouver, BC, Canada – http://www.geoffberner.com/
* Budowitz – Goldbergs Tatar Tants (cuts off) – Budowitz, Live (2007) – –
* Enoch Kent – Itches In Me Britches – One More Round (2008) – Glasgow, Scotland; Ontario, Canada – http://www.enochkent.ca/
* Deux Accords Diront – In morgengrauen – Eisherz (2009) – Belgium – http://www.anneniepold.be/
* Piñata Protest – Maquilapolis – Plethora (2010) – San Antonio, Texas, USA – http://www.myspace.com/pinataprotest
* Heather Styka – Lucy And Sarah – Lifeboats For Atlantis (2011) – Chicago, Illinois, USA – heather.styka.com Rob Clearfield, acc.
* Stefan Hussong – Melodia: Melodia (for accordion 1979) – Hosokawa: Vertical Time Study I & III, et al. (2012) – http://www.stefan-hussong.de
* Matuto – Tears – The Devil and the Diamond (2013) – Brazil; South Caroline, New York City, USA – http://www.MatutoMusic.com
* Jenny Conlee – Jenny Conlee, 100.5 stinger – (2012) – Portland, Oregon – http://www.decemberists.com/
* Black Prairie – Cold Day – Fortune (2014) – Portland, Oregon, USA – http://www.blackprairie.com/home/
* Geoff Berner – I Don’t Feel So Mad At God When I See You In A Summer Dress – We Are Going To Bremen To Be Musicians (2015) – Vancouver, BC, Canada – http://www.geoffberner.com/
* Roddie Romero & The Hub City All-Stars – Donne-Moi, Donc – Gulfstream (2016) – Lafayette, Louisiana, USA – http://www.RoddieRomero.com
Thanks for reading us here (and hopefully listening to us, there), but if you find you want more, you can always keep up with us on Twitter (@AccordionNoir and @AccordionBruce), Instagram (@AccordionNoirFest), and Facebook at Accordion Noir fans, the Accordion Noir Festival, and the Vancouver Squeezebox Circle. Cheers & squeeze on!