Accordion Noir radio playlist 2017-01-11: SOCAN You See?
Starting with last week’s episode, we get to combine two flavours of delivering radio episodes to you: all of the contemporary episodes we’ve been serving up as digital audio streams, while all of the historical, archival shows have been provided as downloadable MP3s. For the first time, we offer both simultaneously! You can enjoy our January 11, 2017 radio episode as an audio stream or, for the benefit of our friends on mobile devices, as a downloadable MP3. In the long run, what this means is that we’ll be able to fire up the podcast engine again and begin automatically serving up new episodes to you as they happen, rather than our having to get your attention on a week by week basis and lure you on over to the audio link. Sorry, this is a bit of wonky insider baseball to lead the post off with, but what it amounts to is a return to being able to deliver more accordion music to more people more reliably, for longer! We’ll once again be able to measure our online listenership in thousands rather than dozens. But baby steps.
It was a fun episode with a distinctly Canadian bent. Regular host Bruce was joined by his behind-the-scenes colleague (and, for the duration of his broken shoulder, chauffeur) Rowan, and we delivered an episode full of Canadian squeezebox. We’ll return our focus to the rest of the world this week! (Our focus: it excludes squeezebox music played on other planets, apparently. Hey, that rules out a lot!) Playlist follows:
* Sagapool – Le vent des Îles – Sagapool (2012) – Quebec, Canada – http://www.sagapool.com/
* Andy Fielding – Accordion Noir theme (medium version, 1:47) – Accordion Noir (2010) – Vancouver, BC, Canada – recorded special just for our show! http://www.zisman.ca/squeezebox/Music/Accordion%20Noir%20%28leadsheet,%2004feb10%29.pdf
* Beyond The Pale – Katarina – Postcards (2009) – Toronto, Ontario, Canada – http://www.beyondthepale.net/
* Fugitives – The Night She Stole The Moon – In Streetlight Communication (2007) – Vancouver, Canada – http://www.fugitives.ca/
* Danielle Martineau – Les secrets du vent – Les secrets du vent (2004) – Quebec / Nova Scotia Canada – http://www.qim.com/albums/description.asp?albumid=2679
* Ensemble Polaris – Vals etter vidar lande – Uncharted Waters (2012) – Toronto, Ontario, Canada – http://www.ensemblepolaris.com
* La Bottine Souriante – Hommage à Philippe Bruneau / La Valse d’hiver – La traversée de l’Atlantique (2008) – Montréal, Québec, Canada – http://www.bottinesouriante.com/
* Wendy McNeill – Black Angus – Such A Common Bird (2004) – Calgary, Alberta, Canada
* Geoff Berner With Diona Davies And Wayne Adams – Would It Kill You? – The Wedding Dance Of The Widow Bride (2007) – Vancouver, BC, Canada – http://www.geoffberner.com/index.htm
* Saul Berson Quartet – Middle Class Dance – Intricacy (2007) – Vancouver, BC, Canada – Kim Darwin, acc. http://saulberson.com/
* Canailles – Muraille de Chine – Manger du bois (2012) – Montréal, Québec, Canada – http://canailles.bandcamp.com/
* Nathan – Sophie’s Waltz – Key Principles (2007) – Winnipeg, Canada – http://www.nathanmusic.ca/homepage.html
* Joseph Macerollo – Concerto For Accordian And Strings: I – Andante Moderato – Persuasion: The Contemporary Accordion (1996) – Toronto(?), Ontario, Canada – http://josephmacerollo.com/index.htm
Until our podcast dreams are once again realised, you can keep up with us on Twitter (@AccordionNoir and @AccordionBruce), Instagram (@AccordionNoirFest) such as you can see above, and Facebook at Accordion Noir fans, the Accordion Noir Festival, and the Vancouver Squeezebox Circle. Cheers & squeeze on!