Accordion Noir radio playlist 2016-10-19: Leon Sash Birthday Bash
We won’t overstate the case: Bruce only aired a single track by jazz accordion master Leon Sash last night, but the entire episode (which clicking here on this link you can hear here as a digital audio stream as long as your web browser can navigate a Flash audio player) was in honour of the day of his birth. But now here’s something you can all celebrate — our parent radio station, CFRO Co-Op Community Radio, is full steam ahead with its fall member drive! Because our station isn’t commercial radio, a) it allows fascinating curios like an all-accordion radio program to go on the airwaves in the first place, and b) it doesn’t support itself by running advertisements. Instead, it derives its operational funding from donations made by its community — typically in the form of station membership dues, which fall on a widely sliding scale. If you are able to take out a membership in CFRO — or renew a past, lapsed, one — it would help us a great deal to be able to meet our fundraising targets.
* Gadji-Gadjo – Octoberburrekfest – Sur le toit des voisins (2007) – Montréal, Québec, Canada – http://gadji-gadjo.bandcamp.com/album/sur-le-toit-des-voisins
* Douglas Bellard and Kirby Riley – Les Flammes d Enfer (1929) – http://npmusic.org/artists.html Douglas Bellard is said to be the first black Creole to record, Oct. 2, 1929, just before Amede Ardoin. Folkways’ “Louisiana Creole Music” refers to a story that Bellard may have murdered Ardoin too, yikes.
* The Leon Sash Quintet – Gone With the Wind – Live At The Velvet Heart Club (1962) – Chicago, Illinois, USA – http://www.henrydoktorski.com/historicaccordionrecords.html
* Carla Sciaky – The Band Of Shearers – Her Infinite Variety Celtic Women In Music & Song Vol. 2 (2006) – –
* Berlin-Style – Csillagok – 17 Hippies (1999) – Berlin, Germany – http://www.17hippies.de
* Joseph Mazibuko – White House Special – Greatest Accordion Jive Hits Vol 3 (1972) – South Africa – http://electricjive.blogspot.co.uk/2010/06/stomping-good-fun-south-african.html: Go Go Records GGL 4004
* Stuart Estell – Will Beckett’s March – Mother’s Thinking Bath (2014) – Birmingham, England, UK – Visit http://lachenaliamusic.bandcamp.com
* The Devil’s Anvil – Teyul Leili – Hard Rock From The Middle East (1967) – New York City, USA / Armenian – http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devil’s_Anvil http://www.psychemusic.org/TheDevilsAnvil.html The Feenjon Group was an Armenian group that played in New York in Armenian bars.
* Daniel Kahn & The Painted Bird – Godbrother – Bad Old Songs (2012) – Berlin, Germany – http://www.paintedbird.net/
* Stephen Nikleva – Montmartre (Featuring Steve Normandin) – Square Moon (2015) – Vancouver, BC, Canada – http://www.northern-electric.ca
* Bill Davis Trio w/Bruce Triggs – Bring the Money In Member Drive PRA (not dated) – Co-op Radio Member Drive PRA (1954) – –
* The Three Suns – Autumn Leaves – Movin’ ‘n’ Groovin’ (1962) – – http://arsnovamusic.blogspot.ca/2012/12/the-three-suns-movin-n-groovin-1962.html
There you go. See you next week — but if you can’t wait that long, you can tag along with us on social media, keeping up on Twitter with our trending accordion news reports as @AccordionNoir and @AccordionBruce, at our Instagram account @Accordionnoirfest, and over at our Facebook groups for Accordion Noir fans, the Accordion Noir Festival, and the Vancouver Squeezebox Circle
(And if you haven’t given it fair consideration yet, you really should think about recording a cover version of our theme song to celebrate our radio program’s 10th anniversary coming up at the start of December!)