Accordion Noir Radio playlist 2016-06-22: Midsummer Wednesday
Greetings all from Rowan, Accordion Noir Radio’s behind-the-scenes whiz. Bruce aired a ton of excellent music last night, and you can listen to a stream of it right here. So you can cultivate a deeper understanding of just what it is you’ve been listening to, here follows its complete playlist!
* The Cellar Boys – Wailing Blues (take B) – Frank Teschemacher – Eddie Condon 1928-30 (1930) – Chicago, Illinois, USA – “Mystery accordionist,” http://jazzlives.wordpress.com/2011/01/31/the-cellar-boys-frank-melrose-tesch-wingy-bud-wettling-charles-melrose-1930/
* Sour Mash Hug Band – Song Of The Eyes – Accordion Babes 2012 (2011) – https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/squeezeboxgoddess/the-accordion-babes-2017-album-and-pin-up-calendar
* Rhett Miller, Black Prairie – Kiss Me On The Fire Escape – The Traveler (2015) – Portland, Oregon, USA – rhettmiller.com Jenny Conlee
* Bon Débarras – Ti Galop Pour La Pointe-aux-Pins – Errance (2013) – Montreal, Quebec, Canada – http://www.bondebarras.ca
* Johnny Meyer – Rebop Continental – Jazz Accordion, Vol. 1 Out of France (1913/1949) (1947) – The Netherlands
* The Texas Blues Destroyers – Down the Mouth Blues – (1924) – Bubber Miley (trumpet), Arthur Ray (reed organ) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRir4m_IS_M
* The Three Suns – Vagabond King Waltz – Movin’ ‘n’ Groovin’ (1962) http://arsnovamusic.blogspot.ca/2012/12/the-three-suns-movin-n-groovin-1962.html
* Zulya – The Wolf And The Moon – 3 Nights (2007) – Tatarstan, Russia, Australia – http://www.zulya.com/ I always think this sounds like the old SF film “Silent Running.”
* Tony Turner – I Still Want You – Love & Other Attractions (2015) – Ottawa, Ontario, Canada – http://www.TonyTurner.ca Bob Stagg, acc.
* Bluesqueezebox – Bei Mir Bistu Shein – This Old House (2014) – Austin, Texas, USA – bluesqueezebox.com – https://www.gofundme.com/273gxh8
* The Virginians (Mario Perry, acc) – Hurdy-Gurdy Blues – Library of Congress National Jukebox (1923) – New York City, New York State, USA – http://www.loc.gov/jukebox/recordings/detail/id/9671/ Trombone, 2 cornets, tuba, piano, banjo, accordion, and 2 saxophones
* Bob Arbuckle, Verner Mikkelson, and N. Roy Clifton – The Varsouvianna – Old Time Couple Dances, Fiddle and Accordion (1961) – Ontario, Canada – http://www.folkways.si.edu/index.html Verner Mikkelson, acc.
There are other critical squeezy matters Bruce would like you to be aware of, which he no doubt discussed at great length on last night’s show. Clif Tipton, who you can hear in this episode as “Bluesqueezebox”, is coming out the other end of a round of liver transplant surgeries — and his doctors have forbidden him from lifting anything that weighs more than 10 pounds… which rules out most accordions. But since depriving him of the therapeutic effects of sweet music would be inhuman, a crowdfunding campaign has been launched to help him acquire a digital accordion — you can find out more about it here!
Also, you may well be aware of Renee de la Prade’s ongoing Accordion Babe Pin-Up Calendar / Album project: after taking a year off (due to relocating halfway around the planet), they’re back in the saddle, crowdfunding for a 2017 calendar as well through the novel mechanism of … taking pre-orders, which they were always doing anyway. You can pledge your dollars to this excellent cause over here.
And finally, a plug for a local concert coming up this weekend: Accordion Noir Presents: Button-String Solidarity at Spartacus Books this Saturday night, June 25th, featuring the Violent Violins, the Creaking Planks, and Tsunami Pinata from Washington State! (And, as always, you can find quite a more extensive list of local squeezy events going on over at the Squeezebox Circle website.)
That’s all for now — until next week. Big news coming up! Cheers & squeeze on!