Accordion Noir Radio playlist 2016-06-01: June it is a Squeezin’ In
(A Google Images search for fun June+accordion pictures yielded this one of our friend Miss Natasha Enquist and a couple of admirers, that I guess was posted in the monht of June some year of yore. You can’t get much more wholesome summer fun than that!)
Hell has frozen over, folks: Bruce has just written a new post here on his blog for the first time since last October! He must be approaching the conclusion of his book. But in the meantime, it is still I, satellite co-host Rowan, writing up the episodes while Bruce is in the studio actually broadcasting them.
We had a nice spirited show last night celebrating the approach of Summer and refuting some ignorant remarks made by a motivational speaker on Twitter yesterday (you are following us, right? @AccordionNoir and @AccordionBruce?) about how it’s impossible to play the blues on accordion (because the happy sound of the instrument makes you feel too good!) (I’ll see you and raise you a Clifton Chenier.) You can download an audio stream of last night’s show here! And here is its playlist:
* Beto Villa – Pachuca Blues – Tejano Roots (1950) – – http://www.arhoolie.com/
* Emperor Norton’s Stationary Marching Band – Bella Ciao – Reign Of Revelry (2010) – Somerville, Massachusetts, USA – http://www.ensmb.com/index.html
* Sagapool – Hot-dog élégant (feat. les Machines) – Épisode Trois (2008) – Quebec, Canada – http://www.sagapool.com/
* Ray LaMontagne & The Pariah Dogs – For The Summer – God Willin’ & The Creek Don’t Rise (2010) – New Hampshire/Maine, USA – http://ouroboros.raylamontagne.com
* Clifton Chenier – Bayou Drive – Zydeco Dynamite: Anthology (Disc 1) (1957) – Louisiana, USA – on Checker/Chess Records. B-Side to “My Soul.”
* james lamb – Blood in these Veins – Imagineering (2012) – Toronto, Ontario, Canada – https://imagineering.bandcamp.com/album/imagineering, http://www.saraciantar.com/
* Old Time Musketry – Two Painters – Drifter (2015) – Brooklyn, New York (USA) – http://www.oldtimemusketry.com JP Schlegelmilch, acc.
* M. and Mme. Adélard LeBrun (duo d’accordéons) – Le mistigris (gigues/jigs) – Digital Gramophone, Library and Archives Canada (1927) – Montréal, Québec, Canada – http://www.nlc-bnc.ca
* Will Millar – Slieve Gallon Braes / Sally Gardens – The Lark In The Clear Aire (1994) – Ulster, Ireland –
* Pauline Oliveros – Reason In Madness Mixed – Crone Music (1990) – Kingston, New York, USA – http://paulineoliveros.us/
* Stas Venglevski – June – Seasons (2003) – Wisconsin, USA (and Russia) – http://www.stasv.com/
* Pauline Oliveros – We Are Still Thinking About The Title! – Pauline Oliveros In The Arms Of Reynols (2000) – http://paulineoliveros.us/
And that’s about it for us, but if you’re around town do please consider joining us tonight at Spartacus Books (3378 Findlay Street) for the monthly get-together of the Vancouver Squeezebox Circle from 8-10 pm!