Accordion Noir Radio playlist 2016-05-25: Dylan is 75 and Finally Likes Accordions
(No, Bob, “harmonika” is German for accordion! Don’t mix your free-reed instruments!)
(Rowan looks at the below playlist. Rowan sees nothing by Bob Dylan, especially not with Bob and accordion, such as “Romance in Durango” or “Beyond Here Lies Nothing”. Rowan bitterly rues his decision to allow Bruce to name the episodes. Probably it is in reference to current events — Bob’s 75th — untouched by our episode’s programming, possibly further influenced by Bruce’s work on the closing chapters of his accordion history book. But… that’s all a digression from what we have here to serve up to you!)
Well, folks, it’s your Accordion Noir co-host Rowan here again letting you all know that another great episode of our weekly all-accordion, alt-accordion radio program has been let loose into the world — broadcast over the airwaves last night and available as an internet stream for your enjoyment over here. For your convenience, we include a complete playlist of the varied music shared in this episode!
* William Schimmel & Wynton Marsalis – MicroBella – Theater of the Accordion (2015) – USA – http://www.billschimmel.com/
* Philemon Arthur & The Dung – Vår och sommar – The Very Pest Of Philemon Arthur and the Dung – Får Jag Spy I Ditt Paraply? (0) – Sweden – http://www.last.fm/music/Philemon+Arthur+and+the+Dung/+wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philemon_Arthur_and_the_Dung
* Eric Clapton – Cyprus Grove – I Still Do (2016) – England – Dirk Powell, acc.
* Miss Natasha Enquist – Summer Bird – MNE (2015) – Victoria, BC, Canada (and now Berlin, Germany) – http://www.kolloagency.com
* Will Millar – Carickfergus / Mary Of Dungloe – The Lark In The Clear Aire (1994) – Ulster, Ireland – Mary Ross, acc.
* Shawn William Clarke – Tranzac Club – William (2014) – Toronto, Ontario, Canada – http://www.ShawwnClarkeMusic.com
* Chango Spasiuk – Triste Domingo – Hungarian Noir (2016) – Argentina – http://www.changospasiuk.com
* Rachel Unthank & The Winterset – I Wish – The Bairns (2007) – North-East England – http://www.the-unthanks.com/ Julian Sutton, melodion acc.
* Bill Haley & the Four Aces of Western Swing – The Wreck On The Highway – From Western Swing To R-O-C-K (1): Rockry 88 (1949) – Bill was from Michigan and grew up in Delaware (Johnny Grande was from South Philadelphia) – http://www.propermusic.com/ Al Constantine or Johnny Grande, acc.
* Art Wengel [sic. Wenzel] and his Ragtime Cowboys (vocal by Colleen Summers) – Yodeling Polka – King Records 101A – 78 RPM disk provided by the wonderful Dagmar Anita Binge (194) – Milwaukee, Wisconsin / Pasadena-Hollywood, California, USA – http://www.dagmar-anita-binge.de/index.html (not available, but there’s so much else you should get there.) http://www.hillbilly-music.com/artists/story/index.php?id=12099 He was in the WLS Barn Dance band, Otto and the Novelodeons.
* Ted Daffan – You Better Change Your Ways – from Kevin Coffey’s collection (1945) – Los Angeles, California, USA – (Genevieve Clark Edsell, acc.)
* Eddie McMullen – Tattooed Lady – from Kevin Coffey’s collection (1950) – New York City, New York State, USA –
* Vishtèn – Shédiac Bridge – Vishtèn Live (2009) – Acadia; Prince Edward Island; Quebec, Canada – http://www.vishten.net
Cheers & squeeze on!