Accordion Noir Radio playlist 2016-05-18: Going Amazeballs with Ana Bon-Bon!
Accordion Noir co-host Rowan here! (I know, from the outside it looks like I’ve infiltrated, then taken over Bruce’s defunct blog. This is not the case. Bruce is simply on blog-hiatus while he finishes up his book. He is alive and well, and will confirm in the comments that this is not a darkly comic “Weekend At Bernie’s” scenario where he unexpectedly passes and is made to continue appearing active.) Last night we had the pleasure of featuring on our weekly Accordion Noir radio program the special guest Ana Bon-Bon, one of my local accordion saints, who introduced me to the possibilities of the instrument before I ever imagined I might someday pick one up and play it. She’s been keeping on keeping on in the meantime, here, there and mostly in London England, but following a spell in Victoria (BC’s own London, at least in the Empress tea room) she has returned to Vancouver and is putting on a big show this Saturday… in the interest of which she went on a media junket hyping it up on no fewer than three separate CFRO Co-Op Radio programs yesterday! We were the last (and in my totally unbiased opinion, the best!) and got a lot of fun chat out of her about the splendour that will be this Saturday’s “AmazeBall” at the WISE Hall. You can hear a stream of the radio program, and to help follow along we also provide a playlist documenting all of the songs that were played on the episode:
* Preston Frank – Shake What You Got – Arhoolie Records 40th Anniversary Collection: 1960-2000 The Journey Of Chris Strachwitz [Disc 4] (1981) – Crowley, Louisiana, USA – http://www.arhoolie.com/
* Kamil Behounek – Suggestion – Squeeze Me 1: 1929-40 Accordion Joe (The Jazz and Swing Accordion Story) (1944) – http://www.venerablemusic.com/catalog/TitleDetails.asp?TitleID=12048
* Pee Wee King (Frank Julius Anthony Kuczynski) – Oh Monah – Blue Suede Shoes: Gonna Shake This Shack Tonight (1948) – Milwaukee, Wisconsin / Nashville, Tennessee, USA – http://www.bear-family.de
* Ana Bon Bon – Another Bottle of Wine – Live on Accordion Noir in Vancouver (2016) – http://anabonbon.com
* Ana Bon Bon – Let’s Make a Deal – Live on Accordion Noir in Vancouver (2016) – http://anabonbon.com
* Louise Massey & the Westerners – Gol Darn Wheel – Ridin’ High 1933-1941 (1934) – Midland, Texas, USA – http://www.venerablemusic.com/catalog/TitleDetails.asp?TitleID=12030 Featured on the WLS National Barn Dance
* Matuto – Gloomy Sunday – Hungarian Noir (2016) – http://matutomusic.com
Don’t forget, that’s AmazeBall, Saturday May 21 at the WISE Hall:
-slightly experimental cocktail lounge-
Where The Love Boat meets the French New Wave
The Naughty Gentlemen
and a spritzer of venturous lounge acts extraordinaire including
Vancouver’s best-kept secret Kitty & The Rooster,
Mike Soret and his Broken Horns,
the electrifying KittyKat-a-gogo!
-dancing and drinking-
Preferred Dress Code: gold, pink, black, cream
(The header photo originates from a Postmedia interview where you can read a little more about Ana’s triumphant return to Canada and the upcoming show.)
As a special bonus to our online fans, you have a chance to see with your own eyes accordionic YouTube videos we discussed (in vain) on the radio last night…
If you think that this kind of stuff is fun, you don’t have to wait seven whole days for us to post it up — the party keeps on pumping all week long over on Twitter, where you can find us behind @AccordionNoir and @AccordionBruce, RTing the hottest emerging accordion trends (and shocking people with the existence of Accordion Twitter descending upon their idle remarks and celebrating them!) Cheers and squeeze on!