Katie McConnell of the Mahones, Punk Rock Squeezebox International
Accordion Noir broadcast a radio interview last night with Katie McConnell from the Celtic Punk band The Mahones (rhymes with The Ramones). She and the rest of The Mahones have a show tonight in Vancouver (Jan 10, 2013 in case you stumble on this at a later date.) It should be a fine time. In honour of her we did a show of Punk Accordionists from all over the world. It was pretty good so I wanted to share it.
(Our AccordionNoir.org podcast site has been broken for a while, but has five years of older shows. We hope to finally get that fixed this year.)
The other impetus for the episode was an rousing list from the Dying Scene blog (we swiped the above pic from there):
Well, as I said on the show, there’s more than ten, let’s add a few! Here’s some of my additions (and Katie and the Mahones as well).
* The Mahones – Queen And Tequila – Irish Punk Collection (2008) – Kingston, Ontario, Canada
* Rawlins Cross – The Little Beggarman – Celtic Instrumentals (1997) – Nova Scotia, Canada – Isn’t that a quote of The Who’s “Won’t Get Fooled Again?”
* Piñata Protest – Campesino – Plethora (2010) – San Antonio, Texas, USA
* The Mahones – Down The Boozer – Irish Punk Collection (2008) – Kingston, Ontario, Canada
* Katie McConnell and Bruce Triggs – Katie McConnell from the Mahones interview
* The Mahones – Angels & Devils – Angels & Devils (2012) – Kingston, Ontario, Canada
* The Dreadnoughts – Katie Bar the Door (2007) – Vancouver, BC, Canada
* Cherry Cokes – Oblivious – Rouse Up (2005) – Japan, Ireland? Planet Earth.
* El Gran Silencio – Super riddim internacional – Super riddim internacional Vol.1 (2003) – Monterrey, Nuevo León, México
* Polkaholix – Ideal-Polka – Denkste (2002) – Berlin, Germany
* BU☆LI – PaPaPa -a field day version- – Grand Parade ep. (2003) – Sapporo City, Japan
* Iva Nova – Young Cossak – Iva Nova (2003) – St. Petersburg, Russia
* The Mahones – Past The Pint Of Now Return – Angels & Devils (2012) – Kingston, Ontario, Canada
* The Mahones – London – Irish Punk Collection (2008) – Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Did anybody catch the glitch in the interview where I edited it so I asked about whether Katie uses the bass buttons and she answers about whether she uses the synth sounds on the Roland accordion? Oops. Lost on the cutting-room floor somewhere. Crazed accordion-geeks are thrown into confusion. I liked her story about taping a plastic cup onto the accordion to shield the mic from feedback. Good one.
See you all later! Thank you for listening.