AccNoir-2011-02-16, Number One With a Bullet! (contest give-away!)
In honour of the Decemberists run up the charts, WE’RE GIVING AWAY an Accordion Noir shirt, AND an Accordion Babes Calendar to the person (or corporate entity) who can tell us the last time an accordion band was at No. 1 in charts-ville. Whoever has the most interesting answer wins.
* Artist – Song – Album (year) – Where are they from? – Contact info if we’ve got it.
* Andy Fielding – Accordion Noir theme (long version, 2:30) – Accordion Noir (2010) – Vancouver, BC, Canada – recorded special just for our show! More,http://www.andyfielding.com/temp/visigoth.pdf
* The Unsettlers – Dear Delilah – Oil (2010) – Montreal, QC, Canada – http://www.theunsettlers.ca/
* Yolassi – Undone – Photo – Ride (2004) – Toronto, Ontario, Canada – http://www.yolassi.com/ http://www.myspace.com/yolassi
* “Gelso Pelligrini plays the William Tell (The Lone Ranger) on the Accordion, UNBELIEVABLE – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V16HOxmLe3k
* Jenny Conlee (rudely talked over by Bruce and Rowan) – I have no idea where the heck Rowan got this….
* The Decemberists – Rox In The Box – The King Is Dead (2011) – Portland, Oregon, USA – http://www.decemberists.com/
* Frank Zappa (with tech Bill Harrington) – The Way Accordions Smell – Baby Snakes (movie) soundtrack (1979) – http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baby_Snakes ,http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x9u24w_frank-zappa-baby-snakes-3-of-12_music
* Kruzenshtern I Parohod/Vialka – Karate – Kruzenshtern I Parohod (2006) – France – http://www.vialka.com/
* The Thin Man – The Ballad Of A&M – H.M.S. Monde Green (2003) – Chicago, Illinois, USA – http://www. thinmansongs.com
* Stevens & Grdnic – Ron Pentecost (Radio Announcing!) – Somewhere Over the Radio (1979) – Southern Californian radio DJ’s make a record! (I’ve been looking for my copy of this record for years!)
* Siouxsie and the Banshees – Peek-a-Boo – Peepshow (1988) – England – http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peek-a-Boo_(song)
* Ceferino Nieto – El Pajaro Zum Zum – Panamá! 3 (Calypso Panameño, Guajira Jazz & Cúmbia Típica on the Isthmus (1960-75) (1970) – Panama, Central America –http://www.soundwayrecords.com/
* La Bergère – La Dame Ira les Ramasser – Fi De L’eau (2006) – marçais, Centre France – http://www.labergere.net
* Accordeon, accordion: oh show us the way to the next whiskey bar. On a Roland synth-accordion. – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfEHRey2dCs
* Gebhard Ullmann – Die Moritat Von Macky Messer (Mac the Knife) – TA LAM Zehn Vancouver Concert (2000) – Germany, Canadian production! – w/ Hans Hassler, accordion http://www.gebhard-ullmann.com
* Ben Rudnick & Friends – Ben’s Jig – A Frog Named Sam (2009) – Arlington, Massachusetts, USA – http://www.benrudnick.com/
And for the cover image? Jenny Conlee, rock star. (As seen on my toot-my-own-horn blog: www.AccordionUprising.org
Get all your Vancouver Area accordion information at:
Vancouver Squeezebox Circle meets the first Thursday of every month at Spartacus Books, 684 E. Hastings. 8-10 PM.
Let us know where you’re listening from: accordion.noir at geemail dot calm (spam is up in Vancouver these days, also, it’s cloudy, rainy, snowy, and sunny but cold.)
Support Accordion Noir, we love our supporters, and our supporters’ supporters. Even our detractors love our supporters.
Accordion Noir T-shirts! With a swell sepia-colour antique accordion and Flutina Girl image, and on the back our motto: “Ruthlessly pursuing the idea that the accordion is just another instrument.”
Shirts are $20 here in Vancouver. $25 mail-order. We’ve got pictures up on the Squeezebox Circle site now. More info: firstname.lastname@example.org
Again, our fame-ulous “One Less Guitar” stickers are available for $2 (or $8 for five) all as a fund-raiser for Co-op Radio and Accordion Noir! Email:email@example.com
Come to the Vancouver Squeezebox Circle, the first Thursday of every month, at Spartacus Books! www.SqueezeboxCircle.org
This is where we love to say: Please support ethical and fabulous media by becoming a member of Co-op Radio, because we love our little radio-station, and it loves us all back.
CFRO Co-op Radio in Vancouver, BC, Canada
102.7 FM 9:30-10:30 PM
http://www.coopradio.org/ to support us worldwide.
Please bask in the green glory of www.AccordionNoir.org and click on the subtle “Donate” link on top to share funds with Accordion Noir’s beloved Co-op Radio. Thanks to donors and Co-op Radio Members, we are great-full!