It’s sad but true — Bruce’s computer is still down for the count and his attempts to both repair and replace it have been fraught with problems (he’s currently looking at replacing it with cuneiform tablets… No! I tell him, we’re accordion noir, not Akkadian noir!) This means that last night’s episode of Accordion Noir Radio (which you can listen to as a digital audio stream by following this link) has been another compact disc special, reduced to such primitive methods that he’s been reduced to communicating the playlist contents to me through a series of candid photographs like one of the downtrodden voiceless. You’ll see at the bottom what I have to work with here.
— Bruce Triggs (@AccordionBruce) August 25, 2016
Bruce wanted to stress that this week’s episode is dedicated to the Lost Bayou Ramblers’ fundraising efforts to help people recover from the recent flooding in Louisiana. You can find out more about it here. He aired live performance snippets from their digital back stacks interspersed with the songs listed below, but was never quite sure what the names of the songs were (audio streams: no liner notes, amirite?), so … they’re not listed below, but when you run up against them, you’ll know.
Accordion Tribe – Sea of Reeds – Unikko
Accordion Samurai – self-titled – De Delay Lo Ribatel / Espresso
3 Leg Torso – Animals and Cannibals – The Life And Times And Good Deeds Of St. Penguin
Montcorbier – self-titled – Shottishe et polka du lac Brome
Daniel Kahn – Partisans & Parasites – Khurbn Katrina
Miss Murgatroid & Petra Hayden – Hearts & Daggers – Another Day
Saul Berson Quartet – Intricacy – Allure
KTU – 8 Armed Monkey – Sineen
Or, if you prefer, the illustrated playlist:
That’s it for us this week, but if you can’t wait until next week’s episode, you can keep up with us on Twitter (@AccordionNoir and @AccordionBruce), Facebook and Instagram. Preparations are ramping up for our 9th annual Accordion Noir Festival which will be landing in just two weeks! Rest assured you’ll be hearing more from us about that one!
Greetings, all! Bruce’s computer, with its digital library of 30 thousand unplayed accordion songs, is still broken. This means we had to do things the old -fashioned way. A tanzbar? No. Accordion 8-track tapes? Close. Play songs off of CDs like we did way back in the ’90s? You got it! Anyhow, you can enjoy listening to last night’s episode by following this link, and of course to enhance your enjoyment you can follow along courtesy of this (hand-transcribed, shudder!) playlist of the tunes we somehow mined from the thin discs of plasticised aluminum.
Carlos Ramon – El 4 y 5
Pablo Aslan Quintet – La Calle 92
Jason Webley – Balloon Feather Boat Tomato
Jason Webley – Music That Puts Everything Together
Anne Niepold & Gwen Cresens – Savoie 64, Smells Like, Option Plus
Visten – Pour Jacob
Sivuca – Riacho Seco
Clarence Clay & William Scott – It Was Hit Blood
The Band – Rocking Chair
New Orleans Klezmer All Stars – Boozoo’s Breakdown
Another week, another episode of Accordion Noir Radio, and you can enjoy listening to last night’s episode of the world’s only all-squeezebox, alt-squeezebox weekly radio program as a digital audio stream by clicking on this big link right here. To help home listeners play along, here’s the playlist:
* Andy Fielding – Accordion Noir theme (medium version, 1:47) – Accordion Noir (2010) – Vancouver, BC, Canada – recorded special just for our show! http://www.zisman.ca/squeezebox/Music/Accordion%20Noir%20%28leadsheet,%2004feb10%29.pdf
* The Whiskey Jerks – Cafe Paris – Neat. (2015) – Saskatoon, Canada – www.whiskeyjerks.com Gillian Snider, acc.
* Berlin-Style – Csillagok – 17 Hippies (1999) – Berlin, Germany – www.17hippies.de
* Pietro Frosini – Rhapsody No 3. in A Minor – Old 78’s (that’d be a good name for an album) (1941) – USA/Italy – https://youtu.be/grI7z2lUcm0
* Myriam Alter – Again – Crossways (2015) – Belgium – http://www.myriamalter.com Luciano Biondini, acc.
* The Devil’s Anvil – Teyul Leili – Hard Rock From The Middle East (1967) – New York City, USA / Armenian – http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devil’s_Anvil http://www.psychemusic.org/TheDevilsAnvil.html
* Diab Quintet – Seagull Tango – Seagull Tango (2016) – Belgium – http://homerecords.be/en/album-Seagull_Tango-552.html
* Daniel Kahn & The Painted Bird – Godbrother – Bad Old Songs (2012) – Berlin, Germany –http://www.paintedbird.net/
* ゆや (Yuya) – 楽園 rakuen (Paradise) – Antique Soirée (2016) – Nara City, Japan –http://letterfromyuyaantical.blogspot.jp
* Guy Klucevsek – Stephen Montague: Aeolian Furies – Free Range Accordian (2000) – Staten Island, New York State, USA –
That’s all for the radio, but if you just can’t wait between these weekly missives you can join us on the social media beat, always striving to keep our finger on the pulse of the free-reed aerophone (in… out… in… out…) through @AccordionNoir and @AccordionBruce on Twitter, a few Facebook groups for fans of our radio program, our monthly squeezebox get-together, and our upcoming festival! (That’s right: the 9th annual Accordion Noir Festival is on its way next month and it’s going to be amazing!) You can also check it out on Instagram, an account which should be exploding this time next month. Until then… cheers & squeeze on!
Last night’s episode of Accordion Noir Radio is now up and available to enjoy as a digital audio stream. And here, the playlist, to help home listeners follow along!
* The Galaxies IV – Piccadilly Circus – (1966) – Trenton, New Jersey, USA – Charles Brodowicz, acc. http://www.garagehangover.com/?q=GalaxiesIV Piccadilly Circus is a version of the Rolling Stones’ 2120 South Michigan Blvd, often covered by 60’s bands and usually retitled (other versions include Sly Stone’s Buttermilk and Thee Midniters’ “Whittier Blvd”).
* The Chessmen – Love Didn’t Die – The Chessmen Collection: 1964 – 1966 (1965) – Vancouver, BC, Canada – Bruce Peterson ~ Electric Accordian (Terry Jacks’ first band, who did “Seasons in the Sun.”) http://www.regeneratorrecords.com/?pg=chessmen
* Los Lobos – How Much Can I Do? – El Cancionero: Mas Y Mas – The Los Lobos Box 1977-1987 [Disc 1] (1983) – East Los Angeles, California, USA – http://www.loslobos.org/
* Desert Horizon – Melon Head – Sunset To Sunrise: Tohono O’odham Waila (2001) – Tohono O’odham people, Sonoran desert, southeastern Arizona – http://www.canyonrecords.com/native_american_waila_and_chicken_scratch_music/
* Gordon Fleming – I May Be Wrong – According To Gordie (1950) – Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada – http://famgroup.ca/gordiefleming/navigation/gordie.htm
* Rattletrap Ruckus – Flemelton (Live) – Live at Key City Cabaret in Port Townsend, Wa., Aug 18, 2014 (2014) – Bellingham, Washington, USA – http://www.RattletrapRuckus.com Lucas Hicks, acc.
* Old Time Musketry – Odd Ray – Drifter (2015) – Brooklyn, New York (USA) – http://www.oldtimemusketry.com JP Schlegelmilch, acc.
* Tara Creme – Accordion Shells – (2015) – UK – http://soundcloud.com/tara-creme
* W. Cosby – Moderato – The Giulietti Sound (Book and CD) (2008) – – http://henrydoktorski.com/store/Giulietti_Book.html
* Tummel – Carlama – Transit (2004) – Sweden – http://www.tummel.nu/
* Stuart Estell – One Row Two – One Row Two (2014) – Birmingham, England, UK – http://lachenaliamusic.bandcamp.com
* Balún – While Sleeping – An EP Collection [While Sleeping EP (2004)] (2006) – Puerto Rico – http://www.balunonline.com/
* Edith Butler – Oh! Madeleine – Ça Swingue (1992) – New Brunswick, Canada / Acadia – http://www.edithbutler.net
The lively UK-based Accordion forum I talked about is: http://www.accordionists.co.uk/portal.php
For more frequent squeezy updates, please considering following us on Twitter at @AccordionNoir and @AccordionBruce, and don’t forget — tonight is our monthly Vancouver Squeezebox Circle get-together at Spartacus Books, from 8-10 pm the first Thursday of every month! And whatever you do, don’t pass up one heck of a press release, just released, concerning next month’s 9th annual Accordion Noir Festival! And with that… cheers and squeeze on!
Just in case you wondered who was at the reins of this runaway train, radio host Bruce gave us a reassuring title for last night’s episode of Accordion Noir. What’s the theme? What’s it all about? The closest he’ll come to committing is describing it as the “Stolen Babies’ Dominique and Frankie Yankovic Birthday Special”, which really tells you more about what time of year it aired than what you’ll find inside. But you already know what you’ll find inside — an eclectic melange of diverse accordion musics from all around the world, performed in a wide variety of styles! So let’s get down to it. You can access a digital audio stream of last night’s broadcast by following this link, and to help you follow along, you can find its playlist below.
* Bratko Bibič – Boeves Psalm – Slovenia
* Stolen Babies – Splatter – (2010) – Oakland, California, USA – http://www.stolenbabiestheband.com/ http://www.cdbaby.com/Artist/StolenBabies
* Värttinä – Tantsukolena – Oi Dai (1991) – Finland – http://www.varttina.com
* Trollwar – Book Of The Damned – Bloodshed Forges [ep] (2011) – Montreal, Quebec, Canada – https://www.facebook.com/Trollwar
* Paulus Masina – Esibayeni – Greatest Accordion Jive Hits Vol 3 (1972) – South Africa – http://electricjive.blogspot.co.uk/2010/06/stomping-good-fun-south-african.html: Go Go Records GGL 4004
* Leon Sash Quartet – Sash-ke-bob – This Is Jazz Accordion (1956) – Chicago, Illinois, USA – Out of print now for sixty years. About time to listen to it again? Ted Robinson, sax. Lee Morgan, bass. Max Mariash, dr.
* Frankie Yankovic – Let A Smile Be Your Umbrella (On a Rainy Day) – Hoop-Dee-Doo and other Polka Favorites (1968) – LP’s Rowan Found in Thrift-Stores.
* The Tiger Lillies – Trampled Lilly – The Gorey End (feat. Kronos Quartet) (2002) – United Kingdom – http://www.tigerlillies.com/
* Walter Sickert & The Army of Broken Toys – Sea Song (Mare Carmen) – SteamShipKillers (2010) – Boston, Massachusetts, USA – https://armyoftoys.bandcamp.com
* Shawn William Clarke – Love, Death and Other Ailments – William (2014) – Toronto, Ontario, Canada – http://www.ShawwnClarkeMusic.com
* Pistolera – Vieja (myspace version) – Salmon Arm Roots and Blues Festival (from Myspace) (2008) – Brooklyn, New York (USA) – http://www.myspace.com/pistoleramusic
* Raynald Ouellet – American Cakewalk – John J. Kimmel – Un Héritage Fabuleux – [[Disc 1]] – Production RO 001 (2010) – USA / Ireland / Quebec, Canada – http://www.mnemo.qc.ca/spip/les-prix-mnemo/article/prix-mnemo-2010-le-double-cd-john Piano, Denis Pépin.
And there you have it! Stay tuned for… next week’s episode. Of course, we run every Wednesday night! Also, a week from tonight sees the August installment of our monthly Vancouver Squeezebox Circle running at Spartacus Books — the Squeezebox Circle Orchestra is learning some Noir tunes to perform at the 9th annual Accordion Noir Festival coming up in September, so you won’t want to miss out on all the fun! Until then, you can get breaking updates in the world of free-reed aerophones by following us on Twitter at @AccordionNoir and @AccordionBruce. Cheers and squeeze on!
Good morning all from co-host Rowan and welcome to another installment of “last night’s episode of Accordion Noir radio!” You can listen to a digital audio stream here, and to help you keep up with what your ears are reporting, here’s a complete playlist of the songs we broadcast last night!
* Jack Garton – Ulysses – Move the Mess Around (2016) – British Columbia, Canada – https://jackgarton.com
* Lakou Mizik – Refleksyon – Benefit Single for the family of Allen Juste (2015) – Haiti – Visit http://lakoumizik.bandcamp.com/track/refleksyon
* Brass Monkey – The Maid And The Palmer – The Acoustic Folk Box (3) (1983) – UK – “Four Decades of the very best acoustic folk music from the British Isles.” http://www.TopicRecords.co.uk
* Amédé Ardoin – Tortope D’Osrun – Cajun – Rare & Authentic: 1929 – 1934 (1934) – Louisiana, USA –
* Voninavoko – Voninavoko – A World Out Of Time, Vol. 2: Henry Kaiser & David Lindley in Madagascar (1993) – Madagascar, Africa – http://thehenrykaisercollection.blogspot.ca/p/playola-notes.html
* ゆや (Yuya) – 楽園 rakuen (Paradise) – Antique Soirée (2016) – Japan – http://yuyaantical.tumblr.com/movie or https://yuyaantical.bandcamp.com
* Quartetto Gelato – Tango Congo – 24th Annual Salmon Arm Roots & Blues Festival, Aug 19-21 (0) – Toronto, Ontario, Canada – rootsandblues.ca http://quartettogelato.ca/
* Stuart Estell – Mother’s Thinking Bath – Mother’s Thinking Bath (2014) – Birmingham, England, UK – http://lachenaliamusic.bandcamp.com
* Enoch Kent – The Women O’Dundee – For The Women (2005) – Scotland, Canada – http://www.enochkent.ca (This is a wedding planning site, hmm, I think somebody stopped paying the registry.)
* Angel Corpus Christi – Theme From Taxi Driver/NY NY – The 80s (1985) – San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA – http://www.angelcorpuschristi.com/
* The Murkies – February – Wave-Swept Environment (Live at the Chapel, March 18) (2016) – Seattle, Washington, USA – http://theMurkies.com Kyle Hanson, acc.
Not much to say (well, as guests at a wedding last weekend discovered, ask me about accordions at your peril), so please don’t forget to follow @AccordionNoir and @AccordionBruce on Accordion Twitter for breaking developments in the world of free-reed aerophones and … squeeze on!
You don’t have to be Walter Ostanek to win fabulous prizes… it’s true, folks, there are benefits to being an Accordion Noir Radio listener and supporter — you become eligible to collect from periodic station giveaway contests! Sometimes it’s just (“just”, ha!) accordion swag. Other times, it’s free concert tickets! Last night, it was the latter. The playlist below reveals that the theme of the evening was touting squeezy performances happening at our local and soon-upcoming Vancouver Folk Music Festival, an incredible weekend of music from around the world. You can enjoy a digital audio stream of our curated selection from their lineup that made up last night’s episode.
* Geoff Berner – Summer Dress – We Are Going to Bremen to be Musicians (2015) – Vancouver, BC, Canada – http://www.geoffberner.com/
* The Bills – Overture (Let ‘Em Run) – Let Em Run (2004) – Canada – http://thebills.ca
* Lakou Mizik – Anba Siklòn – Wa Di Yo (2016) – Haiti – http://www.ArtistsInstitute.org
* Lakou Mizik – Poze – Wa Di Yo (2016) – Haiti – http://www.ArtistsInstitute.org Belony Beniste, acc.
* Oysterband – Mississippi Summer (Alt. Version) – This House Will Stand (2016) – UK – http://www.oysterband.co.uk
* Interview at the Peppermint Lounge, 1960? – The Out Things To Do – TWIST (2002) – – From Ron Mann’s film TWIST.
* Geoff Berner – Swing A Chicken 3 Times – We Are Going to Bremen to be Musicians (2015) – Vancouver, BC, Canada – http://www.geoffberner.com/
* The Bills – The Traveller – Let Em Run (2004) – Canada – http://thebills.ca
* Lakou Mizik – Peze Kafe – Wa Di Yo (2016) – Haiti – http://www.ArtistsInstitute.org
* Oysterband – The Soul”s Electric – This House Will Stand (2016) – UK – http://www.oysterband.co.uk
* Bruce Cockburn – Radiance – Small Source Of Comfort (2011) – Canada – http://www.BruceCockburn.com Tim Lauer, acc.
* Lakou Mizik – Panama’m Tonbe – Wa Di Yo (2016) – Haiti – http://www.ArtistsInstitute.org
* Lakou Mizik – Is Fa Ti Bo – Wa Di Yo (2016) – Haiti – http://www.ArtistsInstitute.org
Two passes to the Folk Fest given to supporters!
There’s always more going on — typically you can find out about it at our Squeezebox Circle calendar — so I’ll just give the standard invitation to keep up with us on Twitter for breaking news (@AccordionNoir and @AccordionBruce) and invite you to squeeze on!